So this was the anthem of my Monday
I tried to keep a positive outlook with work but it just wasn’t happening. I got into bed around 10P Sunday night but was kept awake by this book.
I love reading and all but sometimes it just sucks when I find a book I can’t put down (especially when I have to work the next day and want nothing more than to read all night). On the flip side, I am half way through it and can’t wait to finish it!
So I went into work with toothpicks keeping my eyelids open. And people kept commenting how tired I looked (i.e. how bad I looked)
I wasn’t looking to forward to Monday b/c:
A) It’s Monday and Mondays just suck
B) I was still bitter about the fact that we had to work the entire day after Thanksgiving
C) I had to make a bunch of calls to my clients who I’ve never spoken with and while making that initial phone call had to deliver bad news. I always knew I worked for an evil corporation but these calls are further proof to back up my belief.
D) Most of my clients are on the west coast so I had to wait until afternoon to make said phone calls which left me anxious and sick to my stomach all day.
E) Thanks to my post this wknd, I had Ricky Martin in my head and that got really old really quick.
Luncthime came around and I couldn’t eat since I was so nervous. Um, hello, when did that start happening to me? I am an emotional eater and eat for every occasion–including stress. So instead of fretting, I took a 25 minute walk to clear my head then got my lunch and ate at my desk
BIG Salad with baby spinach, cukes, tomatoes, avocado and tuna salad topped with honey mustard. Hit the spot but I couldn’t finish the thing.
So I began my calls….some people were rude, one was nice, one didn’t speak English too well so there was a bit of miscommunication going on and the others I left voice mails or messages. I knocked 75% out-of-the-way but still have to finish the other 25% by Wednesday. Grrrrr. I started talking with other people on my team who felt the same way about these calls we are making and how this is not the job we signed up for. I guess I’m happy to see I’m not the only one with a good conscience but at the same time, it doesn’t really help me. Per our company policy, I have to be in my current role for 6 months before looking for something else so I shall wait until 4.18.11. It’s going to be a long one.
I got home and was greeted by the best pup in the world. No matter how bad of a day I’ve had, he always cheers me up. He’s so happy to see me and practically has an asthma attack when I walk through the door. I laced up my sneaks and we went for a 20 minute walk.
I wasn’t in the mood to cook. I wanted General Tso to be my boyfriend for the night but resisted the urge to invite him and his cousin, crab rangoon, over for dinner. And didn’t want Mexican since I had it a couple of times this weekend so without direction, I took out a chicken breast I had defrosted, marinated in wing sauce and let sit for 25 minutes then cooked on the stovetop.
When the chicken was cooked thoroughly, I still had no clue what to make. I took two slices of bread, placed the chicken on them, slapped some jalapenos on top then sprinkled with shredded cheese and broiled for 10 minutes.
Apparently I was craving something spicy because I poured tabasco sauce on top of the chicken then had a side of Buffalo Wing Flavored Pretzel Chips
And I added a side of green beans because this meal wasn’t random enough as is.
Then I laid on the couch because I was mentally drained and was going to face yet another mentally draining day today. So I got off my butt, took a hot shower and did my nails. It’s been ages since I did my nails! They didn’t turn out looking like a five-year old did them either so I felt accomplished.
Then I got some puppy love from this little fella
Puppy kisses make everything better sometimes. As bad of a day I was having, I tried to keep things in perspective and not worry too much about my job function.
I saw some tips on Success Consciousness and thought many of them were helpful, my comments are in bold:
- Reduce the amount of time you read the newspapers or watch the news on TV ( I like to read and like to watch tv and I don’t want to cut things out of my life that I enjoy)
- Stay away from negative conversations and from negative people. (I get paid for having negative conversations so I really can’t avoid that but am working on staying away from negative people, although I can be one at times)
- Don’t hold grudges. Learn to forget and forgive. Nurturing ill feelings and grievances hurts you and causes lack of sleep. ( I am the queen of holding grudges, yet another thing I am working on)
- Don’t be jealous of others. Being jealous means that you have low self-esteem and consider yourself inferior to others. This again, causes lack of inner peace. (Let’s add another one to the ever-growing list I have to work on each day)
- Learn to be more patient and tolerant with people and events. (I’ve gotten more patient with my years, I used to be completely impatient)
- Let bygones be gone. Forget the past and concentrate on the present moment. There is no need to evoke unpleasant memories and immerse yourself in them. (I try to think about situations in the present the most that I can and try not to dwell on the past)
- Learn to practice meditation. Even a few minutes a day will make a change in your life. (True that buddy, I could not agree more!)
Sorry for this emo-licious post but like I said, it was a bad day. But the sun is going to rise tomorrow and I can try to keep a positive mindset about how I am going to take on the day.
Does anyone else stress like this about their job and if so, what do you do to keep your peace of mind?